quarta-feira, 30 de junho de 2010

Simple things like Alentejo

In the last weeks I have been busy with several things, personal projects, work, sports, friends, world cup, you name it.
So I have had no time to watch the portuguese news. Today I watched again the news and found myself fixed on the monitor. I was just enjoying so much to watch news from my country, to see what is going on, missing my country so much!

After the news were over, they showed a report on people that live in far villages, hills in Alentejo.

Alentejo is an area in the south of Portugal that is normally dry, very agricultural style and many people have deserted it and went to Lisboa or other big cities. But there are still some important cities and villages in the region. In Alentejo is produced some of the best portuguese red wines. They are my favorite red wines!

The report was about some hills that still don't have electricity. They showed some families that produce a famous cheese, that produce sheep meet and many other things. And these people had no electricity.
There was the case of a family that lives 15km from one of the world's biggest energy solar panels central and still.... had no energy in their homes.

This made me sad. But at the same time, this gave me more strength to go to Alentejo as soon as possible and to have a farm producing several goods, to give jobs to some people in the region, to put most of the profit back into the region, to electrify these hills, to bring internet to many of these houses where most of them have teenagers living. Maybe, together with the city hall to bring some of the nicest teachers from important universities from Portugal and maybe from other countries to teach for a day or two a month, to show their passion and feelings about what they teach: about maths, about technology, about history, about social development, whatever people wold like to learn about. Maybe about agriculture, some training to the local farmers to learn and improve how they can work together, how they can improve their production, how they can have better living conditions.

I have a dream. One day I want to live in Alentejo and have a farm. To grow fruits, vegetables, to raise some animals, to have people working there with passion because I want them to feel the farm is their farm because it will be their farm. I want people to go to work smiling, to leave work tired but happy.

Sem comentários: